Here are some simple tips for decorating your table top for the Thanksgiving holiday:
- Choose a Theme or Color Scheme: Decide on a theme or color palette that sets the tone for your Thanksgiving table. Traditional fall colors like orange, red, and brown work well, but you can also opt for a more muted or modern look with whites, blues, and metallics.
- Start with a Tablecloth or Table Runner: A tablecloth or table runner can serve as the foundation for your table decor. It helps to create a cohesive look and provides a backdrop for your other decorations.
- Add Seasonal Centerpieces: Consider using natural elements like pumpkins, gourds, pinecones, and fall foliage as centerpieces. You can arrange them in a decorative bowl or spread them out along the table for a rustic touch.
- Candles or Candle Holders: Candles create a warm and inviting atmosphere. You can use candle holders or place them in decorative lanterns to prevent any accidents. Consider scented candles to add an extra sensory element to your table. Check out our tapered candles, luminaries, and pillar candles (and holders) on our website or in our store.
- Place Settings: Set the table with matching plates, flatware, and glassware. Consider using charger plates or placemats for an added layer of visual interest. Tie napkins with ribbon or napkin rings that complement your theme. Check out our Villeroy & Boch statement pieces, serving ware, glasses and flatware. We also love our Chilewich and Dash & Albert runners and placemats. They add texture and color to dining table.
- Personalized Place Cards: Create or buy place cards with the names of your guests. This adds a thoughtful touch and helps everyone find their seats. You can get creative with the design or use natural elements like leaves and twine. In past years my kids have made cute place cards by making small turkeys with construction paper.
- Use Natural Elements: Incorporate items like leaves, acorns, and pinecones as accents on the table. Scatter them around the centerpiece or tuck them into napkin rings for an organic feel.
- Consider a Seasonal Floral Arrangement: Fresh flowers in autumnal hues like deep reds, oranges, and yellows can be a beautiful addition to your table. Arrange them in a vase or use smaller blooms in individual bud vases.
- Include a Bread Basket or Cornucopia: A bread basket filled with fresh rolls or a cornucopia overflowing with seasonal fruits and vegetables can add a charming touch to your table.
- Don't Forget the Details: Pay attention to small details like salt and pepper shakers, butter dishes, and gravy boats. Choose ones that complement your overall theme.
- Adjust for Table Size and Guest Count: Ensure that your decorations are proportional to the size of the table and the number of guests. You want to make sure there's enough space for everyone to dine comfortably.
Remember, the key is to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for your guests to enjoy. You don't need to go overboard with decorations; sometimes, simplicity can be just as effective in creating a beautiful Thanksgiving table.