8 Easy Ways to Transform your Patio into a Comforting Oasis
Time to get out and enjoy the warmer weather! Whether you have a patio, or just your own little slice of the outdoors, you have the main ingredient for a cozy oasis. A simple seating area with chairs and a table is all you need for al fresco dining with family and friends. No matter how elaborate your patio furniture plan, it’s the finishing touches that make it unique. Let’s get started!
1. Plants and flowers are a relatively inexpensive way to make a big impact on your patio design. They give you privacy, define your patio area and bring color and texture to your surroundings. Don’t forget to add potted plants to your backyard sanctuary. Doing so can actually help to relieve stress. Tip: Be mindful of what flowers you have near your patio. Certain flowers will attract more bees that usual. Consider potting a peppermint plant near your seating as bees will stay away from it.
2. If your patio sits atop a hard surface, add an outdoor rug for a cozy feel. Outdoor rugs like this one can stay outside all year round. Cleaning them is easy. Just hose off and leave to dry. For deep cleaning, they can even withstand power washing!
3. An umbrella doesn’t just protect you from the sun’s rays. It can give you privacy, keep you and your pet cool, protect your furniture, and last but not least, it is a touch that can simply make your patio look more finished.
4. Pillows. The visual definition of comfort. Even if you don’t use them, they make you feel good just looking at them! You only need a few to create a relaxing vibe.
5. Add an understated elegance to your outdoor table. For hosting outdoor dinner parties or even if it’s just you and your family, you may consider this sturdy choice. Outdoor serving pieces in Melamine are dishwasher safe and lightweight for carrying in and out of the house.
6. The glow of a lantern is such a beautiful way to light up your seating area while still allowing you to watch the stars. How many lanterns will you need? The more the merrier for a dramatic setting at night. Tip: Mosquitos can ruin the best laid plans. I have found that if you set up a fan on medium or high and point it towards your seating area helps deter them.
7. Have sturdy washable blankets for you and your guests to throw on their lap or over their shoulders because when it gets cool at night, you might want to continue to linger. Speaking of lingering…
8. Last but not least, when you find yourself in a comfortable spot, you might not want to get up, so be prepared with lite bites to graze on. A charcuterie board is a great option and it’s fun to create. There are so many different cheeses, meats, nuts and fruits to choose from! Think about combining sweet, savory, and salty items. And for a great presentation, think about the colors on and around your board. You can add small bowls with colorful olives or peppers. Have fun with it!
Many of the items listed above are available at Homestead Princeton.
Blog written by Dina Schwab, Designer.